Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984)

As you know, I'm taking a break from the classics and making November Studio Ghibli month because kids need to see these movies. Here's what I've recommended so far:

Castle in the Sky, click here
Spirited Away, click here
Ponyo, click here

My next one isn't very well-known but is really great! Get it at your local library.

Main Characters
Nausicaa played by Sumi Shi
Jihl played by Mahito Tsujimura
Lord Yupa played by Goro Naya


Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Run Time: 117 minutes
Reel Review Rating: 9




What was the movie about?
The movie is about a princess and her village and many other villages. The villagers are fighting a race of bugs and trying to stop a toxic jungle from destroying mankind. The Valley of the Wind, the Princess Nausicaa's home, finds an old friend and makes a new enemy. The old friend's name is Lord Yupa, a master swordsman that will help them fight a new enemy, the Tomekians. The Tomekians are people from another village who are more advanced than the people from the Valley of the Wind.


The Tomekians bring an evil, giant warrior to destroy the villages. The people of the Valley of the Wind and the people of the Tomekian city fight and fight but the Tomekians bring poisonous plants from the toxic jungle and force their enemies to burn most of their village. Eventually some cities destroyed by the Tomekians (but not with the giant warrior) make a plan to destroy the Tomekians and the Valley of the Wind. Soon the Valley is stampeded by insects from the jungle. With danger coming fast the Tomekians and the people from the Valley of the Wind have to work together with all their resources to destroy and stop the stampeding insects.

What I thought about the movie.
I think the movie was great because I just like the storyline and the amazing creatures. My favorite part of the movie was definitely scenes where they were in the toxic jungle because I love all the exotic plants and animals.


What I learned about making films.
I learned that even though this is one of Miyazaki's first movies, it can still be very magical.


Why I think other kids should see this film.
I think other kids should see this movie because, as usual with Studio Ghibli, it's very magical and it's suspenseful and exciting - really exciting!

No comments: