Sunday, July 10, 2011

Them (1954)

Main Characters
Police Sgt. Ben Peterson played by James Whitmore
Dr. Harold Medford played by Edmund Gwenn
Dr. Patricia (Pat) Medford played by Joan Weldon


Directed by Gordon Douglas

Run Time: 94 minutes
Reel Review Rating: 8

What was the movie about?
The first atomic test in New Mexico make ants mutate into giant beasts that could destroy mankind. We need to stop THEM!

What I thought about the movie.
I think the movie was O.K. but I gave it an 8 because it is epic. It's not scientific because the ants would move faster in real life and I just don't like ants. I don't think it was very profitable because I would guess they would have to hire a lot of stunt guys to get killed by the ants.


What I learned about making films.
I did learn something new. If you're going to make a monster movie, go DIGITAL so it looks more believable. I mean, really, see this movie and you'll know what I mean.


Why I think other kids should see this film.
I think other kids should see this movie because it's interesting how the people fight the ants.

2 comments:

Phil B. Soencksen said...

Hi Jack!

Love your reviews! Please post more.

It's particularly interesting to see the thoughts of a person from your generation on "classic" older films that some of us have known forever.

But I have to disagree with one point in this review. "THEM" is perhaps one of the best examples of non-digital monsters looking very good (considering the movie's budget and the technology of the time.)

Bad digital is worse than half-good real props. There are a whole bunch of newer movies on SyFy channel that used cheap digital and you can really tell.

Even the first Tobey Maguire SPIDER-MAN movie has some cheap digital in it. Boo. You can even see the wireframe in some long shots.

Plus, in "THEM" the movie builds so much suspense BEFORE you even ever see the giant ants for the first time. Also, showing the ants for the first time in a sandstorm helps them look even better - and hide some of the flaws of the prop.

One movie you might also want to check out is the original black & white "The Thing From Another World." For an old movie, it's kinda creepy and the best part is that they DON'T really ever show the monster. Well, they do, but it's very briefly at the end and it's quick and dark.

But by NOT showing the monster, they hide the fact that it's just a guy in some make-up and let your imagination work.

Stay cool, Jack,
-Phil

Jack's Reel Reviews said...

Thank you for the comment. I am not used to bad digital because I just saw Yoda in Star Wars Episode I and II and it was great. When I'm older I'll take a look at Spiderman and see what you're talking about. I did see a Gulliver's Travels once and it REALLY was bad digital because the people didn't even walk they just slid across the floor! So you are right, when it is bad, it is really bad!

Oh, by the way, we just requested "A Thing from Another World" from the library. Can't wait to see it!