Monday, November 28, 2011

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)

To find out more about my November Studio Ghibli month and other reviews, click here for the latest.

To conclude our Studio Ghibli Month, I introduce to you: My Neighbor Totoro! This one is my FAVORITE!

Main Characters
Satsuki played by Dakota Fanning
Mei played by Elle Fanning
Totoro played by Frank Welker


Directed by Hayao Miyazaki

Run Time: 86 minutes
Reel Review Rating: 9




What was the movie about?
The movie was about two sisters that moved to another house way out in the country with their dad because their mom is in a hospital nearby. While there, the girls meet many people and things. They met their next door neighbor, "Grannie", a boy named Kanta, and little black soot sprites that live in their house. One day Mei stumbles upon an opening in their garden and two little forest spirits. Mei follows the spirits through the opening and stumbles upon a giant forest spirit, Totoro, and his domain.


Satsuki meets Totoro  and Mei and Satsuki do amazing things with Totoro and pals until Mei gets mad and runs away. Will Satsuki find Mei? Find out in My Neighbor Totoro!

What I thought about the movie.
I think the movie was amazing! It's my most favorite Studio Ghibli movie EVER! With the art the same as all the other movies it's great, but with the amazing storyline and creatures, it's my favorite.


What I learned about making films.
I learned that monsters, even though they don't play a big role, can be a main character. See, Totoro didn't really do much, yawn a bunch of times, call a cat bus, but he's so famous as a Studio Ghibli character that he's even in their logo!


Why I think other kids should see this film.
I think other kids should see this movie just because it's another great Studio Ghibli movie and, in my opinion, it tops all the others!!!! You'll fall in love with this big, cuddly, fuzzy, forest spirit, Totoro.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Unlike some Ghibli films, this one is GREAT for younger viewers. Totoro (the character) is as beloved in Japan as Pooh is to us.